Website Humane Society of Delaware County
There are two (2) positions available
Hourly Pay Rate: $11.00; part-time
Work hours: Various Shifts depending shelter needs
- Proactively engage public in a warm and friendly manner to identify and assess visitor needs. Approach conversation and topics in an honest, professional manner.
- Assist potential adopters by asking/answering questions about the animals, behaviors, and any known health issues. Recommend the adopters spend time with specific animals that may be a good match for the household.
- Provide information and educate visitors about the animals housed at the shelter. Provide direction and monitor the work performed by volunteers.
- Process adoption questionnaires and applications. Collect payments from customers (i.e. cash, check or credit card).
- Establish, update, and maintain customer information.
- Process incoming phone calls and return phone calls; make copies as needed and file completed documents.
- Enter information and data into Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, the internet, and shelter software.
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace.
- Handle any complaints, provide appropriate solutions and follow up as needed.
- Follow shelter procedures, guidelines and policies.
- Attend and participate in HSDC staff meetings, training sessions, or other administrative events as scheduled by management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A current working knowledge of basic office processes and procedures.
- Skilled in telephone operations.
- Ability to learn shelter software.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance and demeanor within the HSDC and the general public.
- Ability to approach co-workers, volunteers, and the general public to openly discuss the shelter, its mission, and the animals in a friendly, open and professional manner.
- Ability to work in an emotionally taxing field – a positive attitude and sense of humor are essential.
- High School diploma, or equivalent.
- Must be reliable and dependable. HSDC animals and adopters rely on your attendance.
- Proven customer support experience or experience as a client service representative.
- Previous telephone handling skills and active listening.
- Current working skills and knowledge with Microsoft Windows and Office.
- Current working skills and knowledge of database software.
- Proper grammar and proper use of language.
- Ability to follow directions, multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively.
- Minimum of 3 years office experience preferred but not required.
Physical demands and working environment
- Work is performed in an animal shelter. There is a potential for exposure to environmental factors such as temperature variations, high noise levels, zoonotic diseases, animal waste, animal fur/hair, hazardous chemicals or chemical materials requiring OSHA Material Safety Data Sheets, anesthetics, sharp objects, and potential hostile persons and/or dangerous and fractious animals.
- Must be comfortable touching/handling a variety of animals.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds: lift, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, push, and other physical activities.
- May be required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move quickly.
- Must be able to work assigned shift, including weekends, holidays or during emergencies.
- May be required to work long or unusual hours during peak operational needs.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Electronic deposit (ACH) of paycheck is required.
This position has a 90-day probationary period.